About IES-ESE Exam 2013
A combined competitive examination is conducted by the Union Public Services Commission (UPSC) for recruitment to the Indian Engineering Services. The Examination constitutes of a written examination followed by an interview for personality test.
Indian Engineering Services (IES) are the technical services that meet the technical and managerial functions of the government of India. Given the extent of tasks and functions managed by the public sector this extends to a fairly broad segment of the economy covering the railroads, military, public works, power, telecommunications, etc.
IES- examination is conducted in four branch of engineering:
1.Civil 2. Electrical Engineering 3. Mechanical Engineering 4. Electronics & communication Engineering
Selection process : Written + Interview
Note : Any Engineering graduates can apply for IES-ESE (Indian Engineering Services examination)
Rank of an engineer after qualifying IES exam:
- At the time of selection – assistant executive engineer
- After 3–4 years of service(including probation period) – executive engineer.
- After 11 years of service – executive engineer selection grade
- After 15 years of service– chief engineer level-2
- After 25 years of service – chief engineer level-1
- After 28 years of service – eligible for selection to the post of engineer-in-chief
- After 32 years of service – board member as in case of railway.
The number of vacancies vary every year for IES 2012, approximate seat is : 560
Reservation for SC/ST/OBC & PH candidates in each department will be notified on commencement of notification.
Few departments are common to other branch and few departments allow specific branch only.